Nov 4, 2009

The Sun Also Rises

The Sun Also Rises
Ernest Hemingway
1926

This book is told from a first person point of view. I find this take on the book to be very interesting because it is fiction. Usually, books that are told in the first person point of view are biographies, autobiographies, or other such non-fiction books. Also, books that I have read that are fiction first person point of view books were all frightningly terrible. However, this is one book that has completly changed my view of such pieces of literature. Why? It probably is due to the fact that I believe this book was a success.
I really enjoyed this book. This book was not only a successful piece of work just because it was and interesting story of the accounts of Jacob (the main character) but it also gave me very many notes about life in those days and of how Hemingway saw the world. The success of Hemingway with this book is huge for my personal experience because as Hemingway is able to succesfully write this book from a normal every-day first person point of view, he is able to draw in my intrest as a normal everyday reader. Jacob leads the typical American in Europe life and he does not exaggerate or make his character seem more unusual than the next guy that one might possibly find out on the street. I believe that the fact that the first person account of a person that I find similar to myself is the factor that made me like this book the most.

1 comment:

  1. 4/4 for 11/6/09--good job!
    I read for the first time Sun...Rises last January, just before teaching American Lit again. It's exactly as you say: definitely not H's ruminations on the world but rather clear description of setting and dialogue, and a lot of time for the reader to interpret the characters' meanings. What a great novel--not cheerful, but I imagine that it would be hard to be cheerful mid-world wars.

    You've read several fictions in a row--time to get out the nonfiction. Ask your uncle for suggestions, or let me know you need ideas!

    ReplyDelete