Nov 4, 2009

The Sun Also Rises

The Sun Also Rises
Ernest Hemingway
1926

I decided to chose this book because it used to belong to my uncle when he was a boy. My uncle was apparently consumed books by the dozens when he was a youth. My mother and grandmother always speak of him in appraising tones. This book was one of my uncles favorites. I like my uncle a lot and I also trust him with all of my heart. Then again I had also heard of this book from a great many people and I had been wanting to read it for a long while. Since I had wanted to read this book for a while, I had very high expectations for its success on influencing my understanding of the world. I believed this book would be a dense, very intellectual book on the thoughts of life and tips on how we should go about applying ourselves in Hemingways point of view.
This book gave me the exact opposite of what I had expected. At least in the more literary sense as to what the book would be written about. This book was not at all a dense intellectual view on what Ernest Hemingway thought of the world. Instead, this book is an account of Jacobs, the main character, life in Paris. Also all the meanings that this book takes are implicitly implied instead of Hemingway directly saying them. More so, Hemingway incoporates his purpose into the story and gives the reader the opportunity to figure his purpose out.

No comments:

Post a Comment