Feb 2, 2010

The Professor and the Madman

The Professor and the Madman
Simon Winchester
1999

I chose this book from my teacher, Ms. Cassells class. I was in need of a nonfiction book and my teacher had just acquired a new collection of books that she felt were appropriate for her class. As I checked the new set out, this particular book caught my eye. It may have been the title, the color, or something else, but I became immediately interested in what the book could possibly contain.
As I inevitably dove into the book, I put my heart and soul to the hope that it would be one of the best books I had ever read. (I tend to do this every time I read a book, but sometimes I am disappointed.) However, this is a book that satisfied me from the very start. It began with a fabulous hook and it led me to an interesting and intellectual body. However, I was a little disappointed with the ending of this book. The ending was not near suspenseful or exciting as the beginning and it shattered my hopes. I expected the end of this book the way I did because I wanted it to be as exciting as the beginning. I expected the book to be exciting in the first place because of the title. This title makes anyone who come across it inquisitive as to what might lie behind the cover. Also, the colors are dull and slightly red. They give off an air of mystery. I expected greatness from this book, and I got almost all of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment