Sep 3, 2009

The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors

The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors
James D. Hornfischer
February 2004

Hornfischer is an excellent writer in my personal opinion. He is able to draw me in using perfect form. I am loving this book because of how he is able to describe to me the lives and actions that the characters take in the book.
First of all, Hornfischer begins by describing some of the people aboard the ships and how they lived their lives. He brings me into a personal level with them; makes them like not man in a book but an American pilot who lived the life I'm living before taking off to do wondrous things.
Next, Hornfischer's acute describing abilities obligate me not to put the book down. He is able to go into perfect detail about the littlest of happenings on board ship and how people react to it. For example, one of the radiomen stayed up to late the day before the "Jap's" surprised the American carriers. As a result, he woke up late, was behind in getting to his post, and began asking for help from his allies way later than he should have been. Hornfischer describes this incident, but goes into exact detail about how the radioman was late.
Lastly, Hornfischer is able in detailing the chaos on the ships once the enemy shells begin to hit their mark. He describes bloody gun compartments, people with their limbs blown off and shrapnel in the bodies of young men. Men are in shock, panic, some are calmly collected. As men jump from sinking ships and worry about their fate, I get chills. These emotions and damages that are recorded in the book are what thrill me. That is how he has drawn me in.

No comments:

Post a Comment